Welcome! Let’s get you to the right place.
Follow the links below depending on who you are or where you want to explore!
Who are you?
Where would you like to explore?
Welcome to the IDEA Global Learning and Travel page. Here you can find out information about our upcoming global activities, including our Summer 2018 global learning programs.
Gain Priority/Request more information.
University Students! Fill out this simple google form and gain priority for a seat on our trips. Don’t worry, we won’t spam you or share your information with anyone. Promise.
Professionals! Fill out this simple google form and gain priority for a seat on our trips. Don’t worry, we won’t spam you or share your information with anyone. Promise.
In partnership with the Centre for Executive Education at the
world-renowned United Nations mandated University for Peace
Global Entrepreneurship and Innovation Program: Social Sector Edition
Learn. Play. Discover. Costa Rica! This highly experiential, field-based course takes increasingly deep dives into social ventures including women-empowered coffee businesses, squatter-settlement education, sustainable-community fishing and child physical therapy and leadership development with horses. Learn design thinking, social venture modeling and consulting in this journey of self-discovery. Participants will also be recognized with a joint Global Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation Certificate from the Center for Executive Education at the United Nations mandated University for Peace and the WWU’s IDEA Institute. Join us in this beautiful, safe and welcoming country for an epic travel experience of a lifetime! Space is limited.
- Costa Rica is known as the happiest country on Earth as well as the second most sustainable
- Highly Experiential and Field-based with some class work at the beautiful UPeace campus
- Learn design thinking, social venture modeling, self-leadership, consulting approaches all in the context of social justice, business, community building and sustainability.
- Travel throughout the country and engagement with many Costa Ricans
- Option for an extended week of cultural immersion and exploration
- Safe water to drink, safe food to eat, safe travel and movement, safe environment for self-discovery and exploration
- Beaches! Mountains! Monkeys!
The fee of $4525 includes the first two weeks of the experiential classroom (3 instructors), lodging, in-country transportation, some meals, and support of guides fluent in Spanish who are highly familiar with Costa Rica. If you choose to stay (we expect most will!) the optional customized week of learning and explration, you will be responsible for lodging, meals and transport (insurance and virtual contact with guides and instructors remains in place).
This program is designed to provide interested students an opportunity to gain an appreciation of the fundamental business and economic principles of the Chinese market and to understand with a hand-on approach the entrepreneurship environment in China. Students will attend China-focused cultural and business classes delivered in English by destination university professors, as well as cultural enrichment activities. Field trips to visit a mix of business entities ranging from an entrepreneurship incubation hub, to some multinational corporations, as well as metropolitan cities (Beijing, Shanghai and Hangzhou) and several cultural heritage sites are sure to entertain the most curious minds.
The cost of the 3-week program is one of the lowest among similar programs run by other US universities and third-party providers. Program is led by a Western business professor, who is also a Chinese native.
The pre-trip orientation includes a few sessions of cultural briefings and team building and takes place both on campus and online.
Co-sponsored by College of Business & Economics and IDEA Institute, this program is open to all WWU students. The credits can count as an elective or independent study. Additional credits are also available through independent study.
- Participate in summer programs offered by one of the top class universities in China, Southeast University, along with international students from all over the world
- China-focused lectures on Chinese language, culture, business environment and other popular topics
- Cultural enrichment activities, such as Tai-chi and Kung-fu
- Experience cultural immersion in the city of Nanjing, one of China’s Four Great Ancient Capitals
- Visit with the Tuniu Corp. (listed on Nasdaq), a leading online leisure travel company
- Nanjing local cultural trips to visit ancient Ming Dynasty Fortress Wall, Nanjing Massacre Memorial Wall, and Confucian Temple
- Business-oriented trips to Hangzhou, one of the most affluent cities in China and home to the picturesque West Lake (Xi Hu) & the largest internet company Alibaba Group (list on NYSE in 2014, as the largest US public offering)
- Visit to the ‘Dream Town’, the Chinese version of Silicon Valley, with a total capital investment exceeding $20 billion and a variety of incubator labs
- Multi-day visits to Beijing and Shanghai, the two largest metropolises in China